The South Gare Light House is a listed structure and is situated on the southern side of the mouth of the River Tees was built in 1829, constructed with a cast iron clad stone tower. The Lighthouse is subject to extreme weather conditions which over the years had taken its toll on the condition of the light house and the concrete plinth. PD Ports recognised that the Light house needed refurbishment to protect the structure from further damage.
Facades carried out a detailed survey of the structure including paint sampling, submitted a conditional report and recommendation to the client. On approval Facades where instructed to undertake the works which included for providing full access requirements designed for the exposed weather conditions. The Lighthouse was blast cleaned using a vacuums collection system to prevent any environmental contamination of the surrounding areas. The exposed iron works were then applied with a 5-coat paint system to provide the structure with a 25-year expected life expectancy protection.
On completion of the works to the light house. The concrete plinth which had been badly damaged by storm weather, was repaired using Weber HB40 Concrete system, followed by three applications of Webercoate smooth in white.
The contract was delivered on time and shows the diversity of the contract capabilities Facades can offer our clients.
A Cross Section of our 2600 projects weve undertaken since 1984. Should you require further information please Contact Us